Let us talk in depth about CBD for immune support separating facts from fiction. We are all born with our own immune systems that help us function and live in today’s world. The basic function of the immune system is to make sure that you have some kind of defence against the everyday viruses and bacteria that tend to keep attacking you. It is basically a part of our body that activates itself immediately, as soon as our bodies are under attack.
Everyone has their own strength and immunity and no two immune systems are alike. However, a strong immune system is something that obviously equates to a healthier lifestyle, since it makes you stronger in the face of disease and does not allow you to fall prey to infections easily.
Table of Contents
CBD and The Immune System
Phytocannabinoids are chemical substances found in cannabis and other plant-based drugs. Surprisingly, our bodies have an endocannabinoid system as well that produces its own phytocannabinoids.
The phytocannabinoids present in CBD bind to the ECS receptors present in the human body and strengthen the immune response of the body. This leads to speeding up of the following functions:
There is still a large amount of research that needs to be conducted to prove the above statements. However, this is basically a rudimentary understanding of how CBD interacts with the immune system for the benefit of humans.
Is CBD An Immunity Booster?
COVID-19 has many authors claiming that CBD is a good shot when it comes to boosting your immunity. Sadly, there is no conclusive evidence for the same. You should remember that there are several lifestyle changes you could make to ensure that your immunity is well supported, like getting adequate rest and exercising regularly. There is still research though that needs to be conducted to be sure that CBD can be used as an immunity booster.
Is CBD An Immunosuppressant?
Research published in 2020 by James Nichols and Barbara Kaplan showed overwhelming evidence that CBD can be used as an immunosuppressant in chronic auto-immune diseases. The exact mechanism of action for this is not known.
A study conducted in 2021 supported the data presented in the above study. We can hence safely assume that CBD works as a good immunosuppressant wherein it can be used to calm the natural immune response of the body and reduce inflammation.
CBD can be used to provide relief from the following diseases:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Hashimoto’s thyroiditis
- Multiple sclerosis
CBD and Cytokines
Cytokines are large groups of proteins that are produced within the body. They are believed to have a direct effect on the regulation of inflammation, immunity and the production of white blood cells. CBD is thought to interact with cytokines in a positive way. This boosts the production of cytokines which in turn will cause your immune system to act effectively on the rest of your body.
It should be noted here that much of this evidence is based on studies conducted on animals. There is still much research that needs to be conducted.
Safety Considerations While Using CBD
- Always decide on the dose based on advice from your doctor. Most packages come with clear instructions about dosage, but it is best to be sure that your doctor is in the know.
- Check with your doctor before you begin using CBD as it may interfere with your current medications. It is best to let your doctor decide whether or not you need to start using CBD.
- Always insist on high-quality products as they carry the least amount of risk. Look for labels that are all-natural and organic. In addition, you should ensure that the CBD products you are using do not contain allergens that might cause an anaphylactic reaction.
- Make sure that the particular product you are using is tested by a third party. This way you can be sure that it has been tested without any bias.
Types of CBD Products You Can Opt For
There are a multitude of products in the market, that you can choose from when you begin your CBD journey. Here are some of the popular options you can consider:
- CBD oils: They are available in dark-coloured tiny bottles that can easily be carried on the go. Most CBD oils are edible but some might be made for subcutaneous usage and you will need to rub it on your skin.
- CBD tinctures: CBD tinctures can be placed below the tongue and usually do not need to cross the digestive tract, so they act faster than pills.
- CBD pills: They are the most commonly available products and are also the most handy. It doesn’t take much to pop a pill, especially the kind that will make you feel better. CBD pills need to cross the entire digestive tract which makes them slightly slower in acting.
Though there is still research that is needed to completely quantify the effects of CBD, it is a product that is worth the hype created around this. The main reason for this is that it can definitely do no harm and is completely safe for consumption by humans.
In addition, CBD is particularly helpful to those with autoimmune diseases, especially to those who do not respond to traditional forms of medicine. CBD can provide necessary and welcome relief to such people.