Let’s take a look at CBD for pets tail wagging benefits.
Table of Contents
What Is CBD?
Put very plainly, marijuana is a plant with two main derivates, CBD and THC. THC is the active ingredient that is associated with the feeling of a “high” while CBD on the other hand is the ingredient that offers a range of potential health benefits, without any ill effects.
Epidiolex is an FDA-approved product that contains CBD. Apart from this, there are no other approvals given to CBD by the FDA. However, there is extensive research underway on CBD and the sale, purchase and use of it has been legalized in many major states in the US and all over the World.
How Does CBD Help Pets?
The main way that CBD functions in the case of humans and animals is basically the same.
CBD is known to target the endocannabidiol system that is present in humans. This causes a generalized sense of calm and is also known to reduce pain and inflammation, along with several other health benefits.
It may surprise you to know that animals too, have an endocannibidiol system that functions pretty much the same way as humans. The effects that CBD has on their systems are also the same.
CBD For Dogs, Cats and Horses
CBD offers a host of benefits for dogs, cats and horses. Listed below are some of them:
- CBD is known to control seizures in dogs
- CBD is also helpful in controlling pain, especially neuropathic pain
- CBD helps with the cardiac health of a canine
- CBD also possesses anti-anti-inflammatory properties that can be very beneficial
- CBD also shows anti-nausea, anti-anxiety and appetite-stimulation properties
- Irritable bowel syndrome in dogs has been seen to improve with the regular use of CBD
Is CBD Safe For Consumption By Pets?
CBD is generally considered safe for consumption by pets, though is is yet not approved by the FDA in the US.
Here are some points you must keep in mind when purchasing CBD for your pets, to ensure the best product:
Check for quality
You can do this by reading the ingredient list on your product, as most CBD products carry a detailed list. Ensure that your product is obtained only from organically grown hemp plants. The product should also have undergone third-party testing.
Never use human products for animals
Though the action of CBD in both humans and animals is pretty much the same, you must never make the mistake of giving your pets CBD products that are meant for human consumption. This is because they might contain substances that might harm their systems.
You must ensure that the product you have selected has the least amount of THC or preferably, no THC at all. THC might cause toxicity in some pets.
CBD might cause adverse interactions if mixed with other drugs. This can be avoided if you consult with your veterinarian before beginning to use the product.
Since each pet is different, it is obvious that each pet will react differently to CBD. Observe your pet carefully when you begin them on CBD for any changes in their diet, overall appearance or general behaviour.
Research In Support Of CBD For Pets
- A study conducted in 2018 investigated the use of CBD in dogs with osteoarthritis. The results showed that CBD oil reduced pain and improved mobility in the affected dogs.
- Studies on rodents and humans have indicated that CBD may have the potential to manage neuropathic pain.
- A study published in 2019 suggested that dogs who had been suffering from epileptic seizures for a while showed a significant reduction in seizures after they were started on CBD medication alongside traditional seizure medication.
- A study from 2018 recorded the effect of CBD oil given to a population of dogs suffering from osteoarthritis. Eighty per cent of the dogs showed an improvement in their mobility.
Side Effects of CBD
Though CBD is deemed safe for consumption there are innumerable studies in support of the same. It is best you know of the side effects that might arise due to its use. This will help you cope better with the symptoms if they ever arise:
- Dry mouth
- Lowered blood pressure
- Constipation/Diarrhea or any other gastroenterological issues that might arise
- Inhibition of liver enzymes
Dosage of CBD For Your Pets
More often than not, the dosage is clearly mentioned on the container. In general, 2 – 4 drops, taken 2 – 4 times a day is recommended.
Here are a few factors you must keep in mind though:
- The size of your pet. It is safe to alter the dose according to the size of your pet.
- The severity of the condition for which you intend to use CBD.
- The method of consumption of CBD, eg, CBD oil tends to work faster than a capsule since it does not have to cross the digestive tract.
- The concentration of your product. Some products available in the market are highly concentrated and should not be used generally.
Though the research on the use of CBD for pets is limited, there is enough evidence to prove that CBD does not harm your pets, if used responsibly.
If a few drops of CBD can help calm your pet and make them feel relaxed while firecrackers are being lit, instead of sending them into a frenzy, it is definitely worth a shot.
It is always best to check with your veterinarian before you begin to use the product for your pet and start with small doses.
Take a look at this as well: