CBD is the abbreviation of ‘cannabidiol’, which is one of the main natural substances found in cannabis (marijuana) plants, and also in hemp plants. CBD is not intoxicating like THC, and often the legality of CBD oil’s use is based upon the THC content or the source of the CBD.
What does CBD oil do to you?
Even though CBD is a non-psychoactive substance, which means that it is not high-inducing or intoxicating, CBD does have its effect on the human body’s senses.
CBD affects the endocannabinoid system of the body. The Endocannabinoid System of the body can have a direct effect on the body’s behaviour and perception in terms of mood, sleep, pain reception, appetite, and sleep.
How does CBD do it?
The Endocannabinoid System breaks down the cannabinoids with the help of enzymes and then the broken down CBD oil affects the receptors in the system to initiate the benefits that CBD provides. CBD also triggers some non-cannabinoid receptors like the TRPV1 receptor which helps in pain relief and inflammation or the 5-HT serotonin receptor which can lessen anxiety, depression, and can regulate mood.
What are the health benefits of CBD oil in your body?
- According to research by Zadalla Mouslech and Vasiliki Valla, CBD may reduce inflammation and pain, while CBD oil is also used for its therapeutic properties to treat insomnia and anxiety.
- Although more research is needed, CBD oil has been known to reduce the symptoms of cancer and it may even have some cancer-fighting properties.
- In some studies, CBD oil has been used for treating epilepsy and multiple sclerosis, while it was also seen that CBD reduced seizures in children suffering from epilepsy.
- According to research, CBD is also linked with reducing high blood pressure and improving heart health. However, more research needs to be conducted before knowing whether CBD oil helps with cardiovascular diseases.
- CBD has anti-inflammatory properties which reduce the production of sebum in the dermal layer of the face, this prevents acne.
- A 2019 review from scientists of Woosuk University (Korea) found that CBD might be useful in slowing the progression of Alzheimer’s disease. CBD oil may help patients in recognizing familiar faces, with its effect on memory and cognition.
- CBD oil may also help in reducing chronic pain like arthritis, migraine, or other types of joint pains.
- CBD boosts serotonin production by affecting its receptors, hence CBD is recommended as a natural antidepressant for patients with depression, anxiety, or PTSD.