This article covers all you need to know about using CBD for Dogs
If you have ever owned a pet dog, you have undoubtedly experienced the depth of love that is known to only a few. Dogs are the most loyal and loving species of the animal kingdom.
All you need to know about using CBD for Dogs
Hence, they rightly deserve the label of “man’s best friend.” These tiny creatures have boundless energy and spend most of their time jumping about and doting on you. All too often, though, they cannot express the pain or anxiety they might be undergoing due to a multitude of reasons.
Pet products is a new and thriving market that allows owners to pamper and spoil their pets. The latest entrant in this zone is CBD. Particular stores dedicated to CBD and their products are mushrooming all over the United States and over the globe. CBD is still shrouded in controversy, and there is much that needs to be explained.
CBD For Dogs
CBD stands for Cannabidiol. Much like medical marijuana, this product has taken over the market. From physicians to wellness gurus to beauty bloggers, all seem to be singing praises of CBD. Dogs are the most recent additions to the CBD bandwagon.
Cannabidiol bears a close resemblance to endocannabinoid, a naturally occurring substance that is produced by most canines. Endocannabinoids are master regulators that are responsible for maintaining homeostasis in your dog. In simple terms, this means that they send chemical signals to speed up or slow down different systems in a dog’s body.
Colorado State University conducted a program that spanned six weeks. Thirty beagles were used in this study that recorded how well the dogs tolerated CBD. The study concluded that CBD was generally well taken by healthy dogs when consumed within prescribed measures.
Even though the benefits of CBD for dogs have been documented, several questions remain unanswered. What are the benefits of CBD for dogs? How much of the product is enough? Can CBD completely cure my dog of cancer or arthritis? You will notice these and more of your CBD-related doubts dissolving by the time to come to the end of this article.
Benefits of CBD For Dogs
Scientists have been dabbling in the field of CBD and its effects on humans and dogs since the early 2000s. It might amaze you to know that there are around 23,000 published papers on the various uses and effects of CBD. Success stories of CBD use on laboratory animals can be found in many institutions.
7 Proven effects of using CBD for dogs:
- Arthritis – Research conducted at Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine, New York, shows a marked improvement in joint inflammation and pain when dogs use CBD. Some reports suggest dogs that were previously immobile can gain back a certain amount of mobility and function after the regular use of CBD.
- Cancer – It is well-known and sad that cancer becomes a common ailment among dogs once they cross ten years. This debilitating disease can sap the life out of your pup before you know it. CBD has been suggestive of slowing the rate at which cancer cells multiply. Research on this subject is still ongoing.
- Epilepsy and Seizure – Between 1% – 5% of dogs suffer from epilepsy or seizures with no known cause. CBD has been shown to reduce seizures in dogs and work on dogs that show resistance to other anticonvulsant drugs.
- Increases appetite in canines – CBD helps stimulate a general feeling of well-being in your dog, which can cause an increase in his appetite and a decrease in nausea. This is because CBD mimics the endocannabinoids already present in dogs.
- Chronic Pain – Many veterinarians believe that CBD can help reduce chronic pain in dogs without significantly affecting any other body system. Though there is limited research on dogs on this aspect, many studies indicate CBD’s positive impact on chronic pain.
- Anxiety – We have all known the helpless desire to shield our pets from loud sounds or other irritating stimuli that cause them to get anxious and erratic. CBD can be trusted to reduce anxiety in dogs because it directly affects serotonin production and enhances the growth of neurons in the brain. Both these factors contribute to bringing about relaxation in dogs.
- Glaucoma – Glaucoma is a debilitating condition of the eyes that is caused due to increase in the pressure within the eye (intraocular pressure). CBD is known to bring about a reduction in this pressure when it is administered below the tongue.
CBD Dosage For Dogs
One of the main reasons CBD is shrouded in controversy is because not many can understand the dosage required to ensure CBD works effectively. There are a few factors that have a direct effect on the dosage of CBD. They are:
Method of consumption
The point to bear in mind here is that oils and other tropical rubs have a quicker effect, while CBD capsules and treats tend to take a longer time to impact as they have to pass through the digestive tract of dogs to get to their bloodstream.
Size of your pet
The straightforward rule here is that larger pets will require a more significant dose while smaller pets require a lesser quantitate severity of a specific condition.
This comes into play when you treat your dog for a specific ailment, say cancer. Dogs in an advanced stage will need more of the substance, while those in an initial stage can make do with less of it.
General Dosage For Dogs
B here states, 2-4 drops are administered 2-4 times a day. However, there are differences in the potency of each CBD product. Keeping this in mind, you are strongly advised to follow the instructions with the particular product you have purchased.
Formula To Calculate CBD Dosage
There is also a basic formula that can be applied to calculate the dosage based on your pet’s needs. Say you have a slightly underweight pet or one that is grossly overweight. You can use this formula to get the exact dosage as per the weight of your dog.
“0.25mg per 1 pound of body mass”
So assuming, you have a tiny pup that weighs 8 pounds, you could work with 2mg of CBD. This can be administered in small doses or at once.
The table below will give you a rough idea of CBD dosage calculation based on the size of your dog.
|Medium Small Dogs
|Medium Large Dogs (30-60lb)||Large Dogs (60-150lb)|
|CBD Dose in mg||0.5 – 3.75mg||5 – 7.5mg||7.5 – 15mg||15 – 38mg|
|150 mg||2-16 drops||20-30 drops||30-60 drops||60-150 drops|
|300 mg||1-8 drops||10-16 drops||15-30 drops||30-80 drops|
Cannabis, commonly known as marijuana, is the plant from which the compound CBD is derived. Many. Other. Derivatives of this plant are available in the market, and each of them has different effects. Read more about What CBD does to Dogs?
Coming back to CBD, there are several reasons that CBD is considered beneficial to dogs. Listed below are a few of the effects that CBD displays on dogs:
NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) are a class of drugs sold over the counter medications in various pharmacies, e.g., the pain medication ibuprofen. They share a metabolic pathway with CBD. Hence CBD is said to affect multiple bodily responses like inflammation, blood clotting, etc.
Dogs and other vertebrate mammals secrete a compound in their bodies known as endocannabinoids. CBD is known to interact with the receptors of this compound and promote overall homeostasis in dogs.
These are two of the proven effects that CBD has on dogs. There are still several ongoing studies that hope to establish different effects that the compound may have on the bodily systems of dogs.
Along with CBD, the next latest thing on the market is hemp. Though CBD and hemp are both derived from the marijuana plant, they are two distinct substances.
CBD is produced from the leaf, stalk, and flowers of the plant and contains only trace amounts of THC. THC is the substance that is blamed for psychoactive effects.
Hemp, on the other hand, is derived solely from the seeds of the plant. It does not contain either CBD or THC. They have a high quantity of fatty acids, omega 3s, and gamma-linolenic acid. It should hence, not come as a surprise to you that hemp oil is used as a health supplement for dogs.
How Is Hemp Oil Beneficial To Dogs?
Hemp oil offers a plethora of health benefits to dogs. Some of them are:
- Hemp oil promotes a feeling of general wellness in humans and does the same for dogs. This means there is a reduction in the stress or anxiety of the animal.
- Hemp oil is loaded with vitamins and minerals, thereby giving your pup your pup’s immune system a significant boost.
- The iron present in hemp oil makes for stronger bones and better cardiovascular health, while the high amounts of gamma-linolenic acid reduce free radicals.
- Hemp oil promotes gut health, leading to better and faster digestion and hence increased appetite.
- Hemp oil also shields the brain from toxicity and reduces the occurrence of cognitive issues.
- The numerous vitamins in hemp oil are also known to promote skin and coat health for dogs.
CBD. Vs. Hemp?
Now the question arises, which is better for dogs? CBD or hemp?
The answer is either of them, depending on the condition of the animal. In general, hemp oil promotes a dogs’ general health and wellness, while CBD can be administered to fight specific issues. We can safely conclude that both CBD and Hemp are great when given the proper doses to dogs.
Best CBD Products For Dogs
Having established that CBD is entirely safe and, in fact, remarkable for the general health of your precious canine, it is now time to take a look at some products that contain CBD and are specially manufactured for consumption by dogs.
Our Recommended Dog CBD Brands
CBD Dog Biscuits
CBD dog biscuits are a great way of introducing your dog to CBD. They are available in numerous flavors, and your dog will have a great time chewing on these treats. The dosage is carefully measured out before adding to the treats, so you can give up worrying about that as well. The benefits are umpteen, from reducing inflammation to increasing appetite. There is little room for error when it comes to administering CBD dog biscuits.
You can also choose a CBD dog treat that is specific to the needs of your dog. E.g., some treats are available especially for calming dogs, while others focus on improving joint health and mobility. So you are free to choose, based on your specific needs.
CBD Dog Chews
Much like CBD dog biscuits, CBD dog chews can be given to your pet as a means of introducing them to CBD. These CBD dog treats contain measured quantities of CBD, and the dosage will always be strictly within parameters.
You can choose between flavors and shapes that your little doggie prefers.
CBD Balm For Dogs
CBD balms are one of the topical agents that are infused with CBD. They may be available in the form of gels, creams, ointments, etc. If you find your dog suffering from a specific skin condition that refuses to be treated with the conventional line of treatment, you might want to give CBD a try.
Benefits Of CBD Balms
- They can be used to target a specific area, e.g., dermatitis or other skin infections.
- They have a faster mechanism of action as they entirely avoid the GI tract.
- They can penetrate deeper layers of skin as they are applied directly to the areas that require attention.
- They are an excellent way to acclimatize your dog to CBD if you have never tried it on them before.
- It spares the pets from antihistamines and steroids that are the regular line of treatment in such cases.
CBD balms are now readily available in pet stores. Some pet stores also have them in various fragrances, and you can choose one that appeals to your pet. CBD blams also allow dog owners to check their pet’s reaction to CBD. Not all dogs will take to the substance, so if your dog is allergic to CBD, you will get your first warning sign once you use a small amount of CBD balm on him. It is a much safer way than ingesting the compound.
CBD Crystals For Dogs
CBD crystals are a pure form of CBD. They are manufactured by steam distillation from the cannabis plant. CBD crystals are usually off-white and are one of the highly purified forms of the compound, but they are not too famous among dog owners. That is because CBD crystals lack other compounds that make them potent enough. It is generally believed that CBD crystals are not very powerful.
A study in 2015 suggested that CBD crystals are not as effective as other broad-spectrum CBD products. Research in this area is still ongoing.
Benefits Of CBD Crystals For Dogs
- They can be used when targeted action is desired.
- Since they are not too potent, they are a suitable means of starting your dog off on CBD.
- They can penetrate deeper into the skin.
- They can also be used to moisturize and heal your dog’s skin.
CBD Drops For Dogs
CBD drops for dogs are one of the most convenient methods of administering CBD to your pet. The easiest is to follow the sublingual approach where the CBD oil is placed below your dog’s tongue. This also ensures that CBD oil acts faster on the animal, as the oil enters the bloodstream directly through the vulva. There is no need for CBD to be metabolized by the stomach.
Benefits Of CBD Drops For Dogs
- It is easy to administer. It is also easier to be sure of the dosage as you can easily see the amount of oil.
- You also have the freedom to see how much CBD your dog can tolerate this way. The drop-by-drop administration of the liquid gives you more control over its usage.
- The only known disadvantage of CBD in the form of oil drops is that your pet might not like the taste of it. CBD oil has a bitter taste and is not palatable to dogs.
CBD Pills For Dogs
Countless dog owners have also begun to give CBD dog pills a go. Pills work well if you don’t know the exact dosage your dog might need and when you don’t want to take any chances. CBD dog pills are much like the pills that are available for human consumption. Still, the FDA regulations for the preparation of CBD products for dogs are vastly different from the rules to be followed when the pills are manufactured for human consumption. This says that CBD pills for dogs might have many ingredients that would not be allowed to be used in regular CBD pills.
There are several conditions in which CBD can be beneficial to dogs. They are:
- GI-related problems
- Auto-immune diseases etc.
Dosage For CBD Dog Pills
Most CBD dog pills come with their own set of instructions, and we strongly recommend that you follow them precisely. However, we have taken the liberty to list a general dosage that you can give to relieve your dog of his symptoms:
- ¼ pill, one time a day for the first week
- ½ pill, one time a day for the second week
- One pill, one time a day for the third week
Tips To Keep In Mind When Giving Your Pet CBD Pills
- Always try to reach out for organic CBD products, as they are the most effective and have minimal side effects on dogs.
- Try to choose products that have undergone third-party testing.
- Observe your dog’s behavior before progressing to the next stage of the dose. Make sure that your dog is reacting well to the new chemical.
- It is always best to take advice from a professional or a veterinarian before starting your dog off on CBD.
CBD Tincture For Dogs
A tincture is a form of drug administration in which the drug is dissolved into alcohol and is then administered. CBD tincture for dogs is used for a multitude of reasons, from suppressing anxiety to reducing seizures.
The best part about CBD tinctures for dogs is that pets seem to enjoy its flavor. The alcohol mixed into the drug gives rise to an earthy flavor that is palatable to most pets.
Though veterinarians in the US are still not permitted to prescribe CBD as a treatment for any condition, an increasing number of them are swearing by the positive effects of CBD, and CBD tincture for dogs seems to be at the forefront when speaking of the administration of CBD to dogs.
Dosage For CBD Tincture For Dogs
Most tinctures come with droppers and have the exact dosage instructions printed on the back of the pack. There are no precise dosage measurements yet, and studies are underway to decide the appropriate amount of CBD for dogs in various conditions.
A general rule that seems to work for most dogs is 1-5 mg/10 pounds of body weight.
The dosage will also depend upon the condition that your pet is under. A dog suffering from long-term complications of a malignant tumor will require a larger dose than one suffering from general anxiety. We strongly recommend speaking to your veterinarian about the dosage or any other concerns you might have regarding it before introducing your dog to the substance.
CBD Capsules For Dogs
Though there is no scientific evidence that CBD capsules for dogs are beneficial to their long-term growth and development, anecdotal evidence for the same abounds on the internet.
CBD capsules will not produce immediate results in your dog, as is noticed with allopathic medication. Instead, CBD supports the overall growth and development of your pet. Most dog owners who administer CBD capsules to their dogs begin to see positive changes within the first few weeks. Capsules usually contain CBD in the form of gels, powders, or sometimes even crystals. CBD capsules have been deemed safe for dogs so long as they are made from ingredients that have been naturally sourced and follow the FDA guidelines.
How DO CBD Capsules Work?
CBD capsules follow the exact mechanism of action that is observed with most CBD products. It targets the endocannabinoid system, which promotes the overall health and wellness of your pet. An increased level of homeostasis is observed in pets who are regular users of CBD products in any form.
Dosing Of CBD capsules
The general rule of thumb here is 0.2 mg/pound of body weight.
CBD Food Topper
As its name suggests, a CBD food topper is similar to a health supplement that can be added on top of your regular pet food.
You will be spoilt for choice when choosing a flavor because they are available in a million of them. The latest CBD food toppers are all free of preservatives, additives, and other substances that can be harmful to your furry friend.
CBD Shampoo For Dogs
Not all pets enjoy bath time. Some dogs will readily bounce off to have a bath will others will throw a hissy fit as soon as they see you holding a hoose pipe. CBD shampoo for dogs is a great way to get some of this magical elixir into your dog’s coat.
Benefits Of CBD Shampoo For Dogs
- It reduces bacterial and yeast build-up in your dog’s coat. This automatically reduces any kind of itching your dog might be suffering from.
- It nourishes your dog’s skin and coat, leaving them with healthy and well-moisturized skin along with a glossy coat.
- There are special CBD shampoo formulations that can work on a target area, e.g., CBD shampoos for dermatitis, etc.
- Regular use of a CBD shampoo will lead to tiny amounts of the substance seeping through your dog’s skin. This, in turn, will interact with the endocannabinoid system of your dog and promote his overall health.
CBD Dog Spray
CBD Dog Sprays are manufactured by infusing or adding CBD to mineral oil, e.g., salmon oil infused with 500 mg of CBD is available in most CBD stores across the US. CBD sprays can be used when you need a potent action of the compound in a specific area. Most CBD dog sprays help with various skin conditions that dogs suffer from, e.g., dry skin, rashes, eczema, dermatitis, etc.
Tips To Keep In Mind When Purchasing CBD Dog Spray
- Organic CBD products work the best with minimal side effects for dogs.
- A CBD spray that has undergone third-party testing is usually the most trustworthy.
Quality CBD products border on the expensive side, but they are well worth the price tag.
- The ingredient list should be given a look-up before purchasing if your dog is allergic to anything on it.
- Any CBD product with clear instructions on dosing should always be given a preference above the unclear ones.
CBD Side Effects In Dogs
CBD has shown vast and varied benefits in dogs and also in other pets. There are several states in the United States where CBD is entirely legal, and its products can be purchased with ease.
Since CBD is made from the flowers, stalks, and leaves of the marijuana plant, it is devoid of THC, the psychoactive substance that causes the “high.” This is proof enough of the fact that CBD is entirely safe to administer to dogs.
A research was conducted on a group of dogs in 2020 to determine the effects of a gradual increase in CBD and THC. The population of dogs was exposed to a gradual increase in both substances over a prolonged period of 6 weeks. 94.9% of the entire canine population showed minor side effects, while only 0.8% of them displayed a severe reaction. A correlation was noticed between increased levels of THC and the occurrence of side effects. This is a clear indication that when given within prescribed levels, CBD is entirely safe.
The only problem that you might encounter while using CBD for your dog might be with the dosage. Most CBD products are sold with specific instructions regarding the quantities they are to be administered in.
There are a few unfortunate side effects to CBD, but if the dosage is appropriate, there is a slim chance that your pet will suffer from any of these. A pet might suffer from side effects of CBD if:
- He is being administered an incorrect dosage that is not appropriate to his body mass.
The artificial flavorings or colorings present in the CBD product act as an irritant to the dog.
- The psychoactive drug THC is present in the product in high amounts.
- The dog is consuming medicines that conflict with the action on CBD.
Therefore, it is always advised to take your veterinarian’s opinion before starting your pet off on a CBD product.
The possible side effects of CBD are:
- Dry Mouth – Dry mouth is a minor side effect that you might notice in your dog. Research conducted on human samples indicates that CBD interferes with the functioning of the oral glands. This might lead to a reduction in saliva. It is assumed that similar action is noticed in dogs. There is yet to be any specific study conducted on this topic among an all-dog population.
Some of the symptoms of dry mouth in dogs include
- Lack of saliva
- Bad breath
- Increased thirst
- Very thick saliva
- Poor oral health
An easy way to deal with this problem is to increase your pet’s water intake and provide him with small treats at regular intervals so that the oral glands can be reactivated by the muscles of mastication.
- Fatigue – Fatigue is a common side effect noticed in humans due to the regular and prolonged use of CBD. It is commonly understood that dogs display similar side effects. Research in this field is required before one can come up with any conclusive evidence of the same.
The telltale signs of CBD induced fatigue in your dog include:
- Increased sleeping
- Reduced mobility
- Decreased appetite
- A general lackluster attitude
- Vomiting and Diarrhea – Most dogs who do not take well to CBD will display signs of gastrointestinal disturbances like diarrhea and vomiting. A study looking into the adverse effects of CBD on dogs who were administered between 10-20mg/kg body weight of CBD over six weeks revealed that all of them showed diarrhea, and 20% of them displayed vomiting. The research provided in this study is considered inconclusive, though, as all the dogs were under stress due to changes in environment and diet.
- Low Blood Pressure – This is another side effect that might arise from the use of CBD. The exact mechanism that causes CBD to affect blood pressure remains unknown, but it can be assumed that the lowering in blood pressure may be due to the general calming effect that CBD promotes.
This could prove dangerous if left untreated over a long time. Look out for these symptoms if you feel your dog is suffering from low blood pressure:
- General lethargy
- Your dog gets off balance easily
- Reduction in his usual appetite
- Effect On Liver – A high dosage of CBD or its prolonged use could inhibit some liver enzymes. This, in turn, can have significant ramifications on the drug metabolism of the dog. Therefore, it is always safe to take your dog’s veterinarian into confidence if you plan to start your dog off on CBD.
How To Avoid Side Effects When Administering CBD To Dogs?
Following these underlying steps will allow you to keep the side effects of CBD at bay. There is no guarantee that there would be no side effects at all, but you can always be on the safe side and follow these suggestions:
Opt for organic and trustworthy brands which offer products that have been curated after special laboratory tests. These brands provide the reports of their trials and can hence be trusted as being genuine.
Pay attention to the dosage instructions mentioned on the packaging. Most products have specific instructions as per the body weight of your dog. You might also come across some CBD products in the open market that has been created for small, medium, or large dogs. These further ease out the issue of dosage.
Take a professional or your dog’s veterinarian into confidence. They will be able to advise you on the best dosage or timings to administer CBD to your dog. Older dogs might also suffer from medical issues and could be receiving medication for the same. A professional will advise you on the problems that might originate if you mix the medicine with CBD.
CBD For Dog Diseases
CBD, along with conditioning a general relaxant, is also used to cure numerous diseases among dogs. Though CBD might not cure certain conditions, it can arrest the progression of the disease and reduce the pain that it causes. Yet, Sensitivityheart rate the deal of research needs to be conducted to provide conclusive evidence, stating that CBD is helpful in dog diseases. Still, there is more than enough proof that suggests that it is entirely safe to administer.
Once they cross the age of 8 years, many dogs will begin to display changes in their bone structure and might succumb to arthritis. The agile and active lifestyle that dogs lead also contributes to the wear and tear of their joints. As much as 25% of dogs will go on to suffer from osteoarthritis in their senior years.
Arthritis in dogs is similar to humans. They will experience:
- Pain in joints
- Lack of mobility
- Generalized muscular weakness
- Joint swelling
Most dogs who suffer from osteoarthritis undergo the conservative treatment of NSAIDs, steroids, opioids, or antihistamines.
These lines of treatments, however, come with their own set of problems.
The heart rate below denotes some common side effects of conventional treatment for osteoarthritis.
|Conventional Treatment||Side Effects|
Intestinal bleeding, Lethargy
Urinary Tract Infections,
Irregular heart rate,
CBD, on the other hand, has shown no such side effects. There have also been no documented psychoactive effects of CBD on dogs who have been administered CBD for osteoarthritis.
Pain and inflammation are the two classical signs of osteoarthritis in both humans and dogs. Since the effects of CBD on reducing both of them have been well documented, it is only natural that CBD medication for dogs who suffer from osteoarthritis hogs all the limelight.
If you dig deep into this subject, you will find that a few show cannabidiol to reduce the progression of joint degeneration in osteoarthritis and a significant reduction in pain. So, all in all, CBD shows some pretty promising results in this field.
CBD For Dog Seizures
Seizures are a common occurrence with dogs who suffer from the brain or spinal cord diseases. A seizure is a heightened activity of all neurons in the brain that occurs as a reaction to certain stimuli. An abnormal and simultaneous firing of neurons in the brain is usually the clinical reason for seizures in humans and animals.
Major Cause Of Epilepsy In Dogs
Idiopathic epilepsy is the most common cause of recurring seizures in dogs.
Environmental and genetic factors also play a role in the development of seizures.
Severe head injuries, tumors of the brain or brainstem, inflammatory conditions affecting the brain or spinal cord of a dog, e.g., meningitis and degenerative brain diseases, may also lead to epilepsy in dogs.
Some common symptoms that denote a seizure in a dog are:
- Rapid eye movements
- Uncontrolled blinking
- Sudden collapse
- Drooling or foaming at the mouth
- Sudden voiding of the bladder
- Sudden loss of consciousness
The seizures may vary in intensity and follow a pattern, e.g., once a month or every fortnight. Sometimes, certain stimuli also bring on a seizure, e.g., bright blinking lights, loud sounds, or extreme heat.
Effect Of CBD On Dogs
The American Epilepsy Society published a study that stated that CBD could help to reduce both the frequency and severity of seizures. The anticonvulsant effects of CBD have been well documented.
Since CBD is free of any psychoactive substances, it can safely be given to dogs to bring about a certain level of relief from seizures.
The conventional treatment of seizures for dogs requires potent chemical compounds like diazepam, phenobarbital, etc., which have severe side effects on most dogs. On the other hand, CBD is known to produce only mild drowsiness as a side effect at the most.
Most creatures find it challenging to adjust to a new environment, and dogs are no different in this scene. Something as slight as a change of place, and odd-tasting meal, or a loud firecracker may tick your dog off and turn your bouncing little friend into a nervous wreck.
What Causes Anxiety In Dogs?
The exact reasons that cause dogs to get anxious are uncountable. A few of them might be:
- Separation anxiety
- Other loud sounds or bangs
- Age-related anxiety
- Exposure to an aggressive dog
- PTSD related anxiety
- Fear related anxiety
Symptoms Of Anxiety In Dogs
Since your pet will not be able to put his feelings into words, here are the signs that you should look out for to determine if your dog is having a panic attack or other anxiety issues:
- Constant drooling
- Taking shelter under furniture
- Constant shaking
- Increased barking
- Constant pacing
- Increased aggression
- Involuntary emptying of bladders
The number of people who are resorting to CBD to calm the nerves of their dogs is increasing by the day.
Dogs have an endocannabinoid system that helps them regulate their bodily functions and keep their body in homeostasis. This system has an extensive network of receptors spread out all through the dog’s body. Whenever a dog is in a state of discomfort, its body will release an added amount of endocannabinoids that calms the neurons, firing rapidly. This brings about muscular relaxation and relieves the tension that the animal is experiencing.
CBD mimics the action of these endocannabinoids and helps dogs regain their calm.
CBD also affects the GABA receptors in the brain of dogs and causes it to increase its production, thereby reducing the increased activity of nerve cells.
CBD For Dogs In Pain
The use of CBD to alleviate pain in dogs is a pretty well-researched topic. The bombardment of dog-related CBD products in the pet market led to piquing the curiosity of several researchers, and a few studies on the efficacy of CBD products to reduce pain in dogs followed.
What Might Cause Pain In Your Pet?
When it comes to dogs, one of the significant causes of pain is osteoarthritis.
Blunt injuries, recent falls, burns, etc., are a few more stimuli that might cause the arousal of a painful sensation among dogs.
How Can CBD Be Helpful To A Dog In Pain?
CBD’s most common mechanism of action on dogs is that it interacts with the endocannabinoid receptors. These receptors are present in abundance throughout the dog’s body, and they produce small quantities of endocannabinoids. These, in turn, regulate the different systems of the dog so that his body remains in homeostasis most of the time.
CBD mimics the action of endocannabinoids in the system of a dog who is in pain. This, in turn, will increase the immune response of the dog to pain.
How Effective Is CBD For Dogs In Pain?
According to a clinical study conducted by Cornell University, 2mg/kg of CBD given to dogs twice a day was sufficient to improve activity in dogs suffering from osteoarthritis.
Reduced pain and increase in function were found in dogs who were a part of a randomized study initiated by Liberty Leaf. 0.3 mg/kg of CBD oil was found to be sufficient to bring about these results.
Studies that suggest a positive effect among dogs who suffer from pain due to long-term illnesses abound through veterinarian universities.
The American Veterinary Medical Association has stated that half of all dogs who cross the age of 10 years will at some point suffer from cancer. Although this statistic is sad, it is pretty accurate. It has also been observed that cancers in dogs show a close similarity to cancers detected in humans. Advances in technology and early detection are what give dogs today a fighting chance.
Journal Of The National Comprehensive Cancer Network provided evidence to suggest that the administration of regular CBD could stop cell multiplication in tumors.
CBD has an evident and effective interaction with endocannabinoid receptors. This stimulates endocannabinoids, which help deal with pain, nausea, and other symptoms associated with cancer.
Studies suggest that CBD has slowed the growth of tumors and reduced the rate at which apoptosis (cellular death) occurs in cancer-ridden dogs.
Conventional Treatment For Cancer Vs. CBD
When it comes to cancer in dogs, the conventional line of treatment borders around symptomatic treatment and potent steroids, these can hurt the other systems of your dog, like kidneys, liver, GI tract, etc.
On the other hand, CBD has only minor side effects like dry mouth, lethargy, drowsiness, etc., and these are not common to all dogs.
It is wise to always consult with your veterinarian, though, before trying out CBD for cancer for your dog.
The two most popular means of providing CBD to your dog are:
CBD oils and CBD treats. As the name suggests, CBD oils can be directly administered to your pet orally. If the off-tasting oil is something that your pet rejects, you can always try CBD treats that are more palatable.
Being an owner of a dog who is aggressive can be stressful. Most dogs are calm and friendly on the outside, but some can be extremely unfriendly, and still, others border on violence. Read More about using CBD for Dogs Aggression
One of the main reasons that dog express aggression is fear. There is a significant variation in the kind of stimuli that dogs detect as harmful. When one dog may welcome newcomers into a home, another might perceive them as intruders. Most of the time, this fear is what drives the aggression they express.
The ECS or endocannabinoid system directly affects several systems of a dog, including sleep, mood, memory, inflammation, and pain.
Poorly balanced moods are a common factor in anxiety and aggression, and CBD directly affects it. The regular administration of CBD in small quantities can help create a dog with more balanced moods and a calmer personality.
Some dogs have also been shown to be incapable of producing the required amounts of endocannabinoids. Administration of CBD can be incredibly beneficial to such pets.
Evidence Suggesting CBD Helps Make Dogs Calmer
There are tons of testimonials provided by dog owners that provide data on this subject. After getting their dogs hooked onto CBD for four weeks, dog owners have noticed a calmer and more balanced pet.
This has encouraged many dog owners to try CBD before exposing their pets to a trigger, e.g., a trip to the vet, a long ride, or fireworks.
CBD For Dog Allergies
Almost 30% of the dogs in the world suffer from canine ectopic dermatitis. In addition to skin dryness and itching, allergies might also cause symptoms in the nose and eyes of dogs.
Allergies in dogs tend to appear after they cross the age of 1 year.
Causes Of Dog Allergies
It might often get challenging to pinpoint the reason for allergies that a dog suffers, but there can be some common triggers, like:
- Fleas or other insects
- Dust or pollen that causes respiratory allergies
- Irritants in food, e.g., artificial flavors or colors
- Environmental allergies
Symptoms Of Dog Allergies
Some common symptoms that indicate an allergy in dogs are:
- Itchy skin
- Raw or inflamed skin
- Runny eyes
- Constant irritability
Conventional Treatment Of Dog Allergies
The conventional methods used to treat allergies in dogs are:
- Fatty acid supplements
- Immunotherapy etc.
The problem with the conventional treatment model is that it might lead to severe side effects in some dogs, e.g., liver toxicity, gastrointestinal irritation, etc.
How Does CBD Help Dogs Deal With Allergic Reactions?
Dogs produce a small amount of Cannabidiol via the endocannabinoid system. The receptors of this system are present throughout the dog. CBD stimulates the receptors and increases the production of Cannabidiol within the body of the dog. This is known to have the following effects:
- It decreases the occurrence and severity of allergy-induced seizures.
- Reduces pain and inflammation brought about by allergies.
- Boots the immune response of the dog to help fight the allergies.
Is CBD Safe To Administer To Dogs?
There have been several studies documenting the advantages of CBD on dogs in the case of allergies. There have been some mild side effects of CBD use in certain dogs like dry mouth, depression, diarrhea, etc.
CBD For Healthy Dog Coat
A dog’s coat is no less than its crowning glory. Dog owners take great pride in the glossy and lustrous coats, their dog’s sport.
With the rising number of bacteria, viruses, and fungi that your pets are exposed to daily, maintaining their coat might probably become an uphill task.
Some dogs are also prone to genetic diseases like alopecia, where large parts of their coats might fall off and not regrow at all.
How Can CBD Help with a Healthy Dog Coat?
CBD has a direct action on the endocannabinoid system of the dog. This system is responsible for promoting the general health and well-being of a dog. Therefore, it is linked to many systems, like the skin, eyes, hair follicles of the dog, etc. Studies are still underway to determine the exact mechanism that CBD takes to benefit the skin and coat. Still, some observances of continued use of CBD have already been documented, they are:
- It boosts the immune system of dogs, giving them a better chance to fight everyday bacteria that attack their skin.
- Reduces the stress in dogs, which might lead to skin conditions or hair fall.
- CBD promotes good blood circulation throughout the body of the dog. This, in turn, will lead to better skin and healthier hair and coat.
- CBD keeps yeast infections at bay. These tend to attack dogs most during humid seasons.
- CBD promotes overall homeostasis in a dog. When your dog has a good environment with all his vitals in acceptable zones, he will automatically appear healthy with great skin, coat, teeth, and eyes.
- Improved circulation and homeostasis also mean a suitable environment for hair follicles. This indicates that CBD can also prove to be beneficial at reducing hair fall in dogs.
CBD Products For Dogs
CBD products for dogs are readily available across various CBD pet stores that have sprung up recently.
One of the most significant advantages of using these products is that they are manufactured especially for dogs, and hence you do not have to worry about the dosage. Just follow the instructions on the back of each pack, and you can have a healthier, happier pet in a few weeks.
CBD Dog Biscuits
If you are just beginning to experiment with CBD for your dog, this is a great way to start. CBD dog biscuits are created with carefully measured ingredients to form a tasty treat that your dog will look forward to every day.
An increasing number of dog owners are reaching out for CBD dog biscuits today because they are available in various flavors that mask the bitterness of CBD oil. You can give them to your dog off and on or use them as an incentive to train him to obey commands.
The only thing you need to keep in mind is that your dog must not get addicted to these biscuits or develop a craving for them, as large doses of CBD can be dangerous to dogs. You will notice that most CBD dog biscuit packages bear instructions on the number of biscuits you can feed your dog. This is a general pattern for you to follow:
- Dogs under 120 lb: 1 biscuit every 12 hours
- Dogs between 21 – 44 lb: 2 biscuits every 12 hours
- Dogs between 45 – 95 lb: 3 biscuits every 12 hours
- Dogs above 95 lb: 4 biscuits every 12 hours
CBD Dog Chews
Dogs love to chew on anything. It is one of the most natural tendencies they possess. Chewing is a way for dogs to explore the world around them. Some experts believe that chewing leads to an accumulation of sensory information in dogs that translates to their long-term memory. CBD dog chews are the perfect way to get your dog to consume his dose of CBD for the day.
Why Should You Choose CBD Dog Chews For Your Dog?
There are a million ways that CBD can benefit your dog. But we also need to keep in mind that CBD has a pungent and quite bitter taste. Hence it is natural for your dog to be averse to the taste of CBD oil. CBD dog chews are a tasty way to get CBD into your dog’s system. The bitter taste is masked, and your dog will be more than happy to gnaw at some CBD-infused treats. CBD dog chews also contain the exact dosage required to keep your pet comfortable.
CBD Dog Food
If you’re wondering how CBD dog food is different from regular dog food, there is not much difference. Dog food is a complete, balanced meal for dogs containing the right amount of vitamins and minerals needed for their development.
On the other hand, CBD dog food is the same dog food but sprinkles the chemical compound over it. The food is either infused with CBD or pre-added to the mix in the required proportions.
CBD dog food is produced under governmental guidelines and is frequently free of hemp and THC. This makes it entirely safe for consumption by your pets. It is still wise to get a second opinion from a professional or your veterinarian regarding the use of CBD dog food.
CBD dog treats are a great way to treat your dog and get him to obey your commands or teach him new stuff. You can use it as an incentive to appreciate when your dog shows good behavior.
CBD dog treats are also an easier way to give CBD to dogs who are averse to the bitter taste of CBD oils.
Benefits Of CBD Dog Treats
- If you have an aggressive or violent dog, CBD might be the answer to your problems. CBD is known to have a calming effect on dogs. This is because it interacts with endocannabidiol receptors directly and causes an increase of the substance in dogs’ bodies.
- CBD is great for the heart health of your dog. Since CBD promotes homeostasis in the body, it automatically causes the better functioning of heart muscles. This will lead to your dog’s heart being a lot more efficient and being able to pump more blood with a lot less effort.
- Studies also show that CBD gives a boost to the immune system of dogs. This is why it is used for dogs who suffer from allergies and various other low immunity issues.
- One of the most studied areas of the effectiveness of CBD is in the joints and mobility of dogs. Most older dogs suffer from osteoarthritis, and CBD has emerged as one of the frontrunners for natural treatments for the same. CBD has consistently displayed the ability to cause a reduction in pain and inflammation among dogs.
- Many studies show improved and increased functional movements in dogs who have been suffering from osteoarthritis after being administered controlled doses of CBD over four weeks.
The pet market is awash with CBD dog treats. They are available in different flavors and forms for you to choose from. The best part about purchasing them is that they are almost always pre-mixed, and you do not have to figure out the dosage your pet will require.
CBD Balm For Dogs
CBD balms are all the rage in most pet stores. With major animal universities jumping on the CBD testing bandwagon, there is increasing proof in support of CBD every other day. This is a considerable incentive to companies that manufacture CBD for pets.
CBD Balms Have Several Benefits Over Other CBD Products
They are your best option when you want a potent reaction over a specific area instead of the generalized response to CBD that CBD oil would generate, e.g., in the case of ectopic dermatitis, a CBD-infused CBD infused balm may be effective at reducing the itching and redness in a short time.
Since these balms are topical agents, they do not have to pass through the digestive tract of dogs and hence can take effect a lot faster.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is CBD safe for dogs?
CBD was given legal status in the United States in 2018, ever since there has been a boom in CBD products for humans and pets.
CBD is a chemical compound very similar to endocannabidiols found both in animals and humans. The endocanibidiol receptors are present in plenty throughout the body of dogs. CBD interacts with these receptors directly and brings about homeostasis in the dog.
CBD is also completely devoid of THC, a psychoactive substance responsible for creating the “high” that one might experience on the consumption of high doses of marijuana.
CBD also has not been known to affect the liver, kidneys, or other systems of dogs, as is the case with allopathic medicines at times.
There is no concrete evidence that suggests that CBD is in any way harmful to dogs when consumed in small quantities. On the contrary, there are umpteen researches that have provided conclusive evidence that CBD causes a reduction in inflammation and pain in dogs. Several studies are underway to determine and enlist the same benefits CBD provides to dogs.
You could also ensure the genuineness of the CBD products your purchase by undertaking the following steps:
- Read the certificate of analysis on the label of the product. This will provide you with information about the laboratory tests conducted on the specific product. It will also mention the amount of THC present in it.
- Always opt for broad-spectrum CBD when it comes to your pets.
- Scrutinize the dosage and ensure that it is appropriate for the body mass of your pet.
How much is CBD sufficient for dogs?
It is difficult to give a specific answer to this question. There is no one particular value of CBD that works on all dogs. The amount of CBD sufficient to affect dogs depends on a few factors, eg.
- The form in which it is consumed, e.g., gels and other topical agents, seems to take action quicker than those ingested.
- The potency of the solution that is administered. Since there are different CBD products available in the market, they are all sold in different concentrations.
- The purpose for which it is administered. E.g., if you wish to administer CBD for osteoarthritis, you might require a more potent dose if your dog is in a more advanced stage.
- The body mass of your particular dog. This is one of the safest ways to calculate the dosage of CBD that is safe for your pet.
Many rules dominate the dosage of CBD in dogs. Some of them are as follows:
- 1mg is considered a good amount to start with if the intention is only to alleviate your dog’s pain.
- 2-4 drops/day taken 4-5 times/day is also considered acceptable for medium-sized dogs.
- 0.25 mg/lb of body mass is another formula used to calculate the dosage for dogs. This seems to be one of the most appropriate methods.
Though all of these above methods seem to be pretty efficient when calculating dosage for dogs, it is always advisable to check with your veterinarian or a professional. All genuine CBD products contain dosage instructions, and we highly recommend that you follow them.
How long does CBD stay in a dog’s system?
This question can have several answers depending on several factors. In general, CBD lasts for around 8 hours in the system of dogs.
Listed below are a few factors that determine the period that CBD can be circulating within the system of a dog:
- Method of consumption: Tinctures, oils, and balms are considered to have a speedier mechanism of action than the substances taken orally in the form of treats or biscuits. Sublingual administration (below the tongue) of CBD is thought to have the fastest action.
- The concentration of the product: Some products have a higher concentration of CBD than others, and they would take effect faster.
Depending on these two factors, it may take anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours for CBD to reach a dog’s bloodstream.
Once the CBD is in the bloodstream, it may be a while before you begin to notice the desired effects of the compound. With oils and tinctures, it takes around 45 – 90 minutes for any reaction to occur. At the same time, 20 – 60 minutes is the time required for sublingually administered CBD.
A few studies have been conducted to determine the half-life of CBD once it enters the system of dogs. Most evidence suggests a sample of CBD with a concentration of 2mg – 10mg will have a half-life of 4 hours. This means, half the amount of the drug will be metabolized and flushed out of the dog’s system within this time.
Can humans consume CBD meant for dogs?
It might seem like a weird question, but it is asked often. Since the action of CBD on animals and humans is similar, a person can consume CBD that is meant for animals.
Effect Of CBD Dog Products On Humans
Humans have an endocannabinoid system that is similar to the ones dogs possess. This makes CBD consumption safe for humans as well. Like dogs, CBD promotes homeostasis in the human body and brings about a feeling of general well-being and relaxation.
How Is CBD For Dogs Different From Human CBD?
Though it might seem like a great idea to get a few drops of CBD oil into yourself while you administer it to your dog, here are a few factors for you to consider:
- The dosage of CBD for humans will be vastly different from what is prescribed to dogs. Since dogs have a much lower body mass density, they require a lower dose of CBD than humans would require.
- Humans would also require a higher concentration of the substance to notice any positive effects of the same.
- The CBD products curated for dogs or other pets are adapted to their flavor palette, which is vastly different from humans’. So even though you can consume your dog’s CBD oil, you might not find it too palatable.
- The FDA regulations that govern the production are more strict than those issued for the production of pet products.
One of how you can get the best of both worlds is by ensuring all the products you select for your pet and yourself are tested by a third party. This will ensure that you and your pet are consuming only the best products in the market.
What are the benefits of CBD on dogs’ skin?
CBD has its effects on the skin and coat of dogs, along with the numerous other products that it displays on different systems of dogs.
Dogs can develop skin conditions similar to humans. These include acne, rashes, dermatitis, and mange.
Though skin allergies are not a serious issue, they might lead to a potentially dangerous situation for your dog if left untreated.
How Does CBD Help Dogs With Skin Issues?
Since CBD contains Cannabidiol which is also present in the endocannabinoid system of dogs, it promotes the general well-being of dogs. This is reflected in a healthier skin condition. CBD also encourages the health of hair follicles in animals. This automatically means better skin and a glossier coat for your pet.
- CBD also gives an excellent boost to the immune system of dogs, which promotes a better skin condition in general.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of CBD allow it to reduce pain and inflammation in your pet if the skin condition has already progressed in severity.
CBD Vs. Traditional Treatments
When it comes to skin conditions, we must begin with acknowledging that diagnosing and determining a skin condition in an animal can be a tedious task. This itself puts an added physical and emotional burden on both the pet and its owner.
Corticosteroids and antihistamines are the main lines of traditional treatments when it comes to skin conditions in dogs. It is a well-known fact that these are strong medications that might not go down well with all pets, and in some cases, they might even have severe repercussions.
CBD, on the other hand, is entirely natural and does not have any significant side effects. Several dog owners have also given testimonials and sworn by the effectiveness of CBD. Hence, many pet owners gravitate towards this plant-based compound to rid their dogs of long-term skin issues.
Can human CBD be consumed by dogs?
This is one of the most frequently asked questions when it comes to starting dogs off on CBD. If you have been wondering the same, you might be happy to know that it is possible to give dogs CBD meant for human consumption. There are a few points that you must take into consideration before attempting to do this, though.
How Can Dogs Consume Human CBD?
Luckily, most mammals have an endocannabinoid system. This is to say that the endocannabinoid system in dogs is also current in humans and accounts for similar functions, e.g., bodily homeostasis, reducing pain and inflammation, etc.
CBD oil is a great product that you can safely share with your dog, provided your pet is adapted to the way it tastes.
Dosage Of Human CBD Appropriate For Dogs
This is one of the most important factors to be considered when administering human CBD to dogs. You must bear in mind that dogs have a much lighter body mass in comparison to humans. CBD products made for dogs are carefully measured out to meet these standards. Hence, you will have to make a careful calculation of the dosage your dog will require.
There are three formulas available to calculate dosage based on the bodyweight of your dog. You can choose to give your dog a low, medium, or high dose of CBD based on this:
- 0.05 mg * 0.5 kg body weight (low)
- 0.125 mg * 0.5 kg body weight (medium)
- 0.25 mg * 0.5 body weight (high)
There have been umpteen citations in this article that emphasize the benefits and uses of CBD for dogs. From reducing general aches and pains in dogs to decelerating the growth of cancerous cells, CBD has shown its effect in most common ailments that dogs suffer from, at some point or the other in their short lifespan.
It is also true, on the other hand, that research in this field is still ongoing. There are several veterinary universities all over the world involved in testing the effects of CBD on dogs. Still, it might be a while before any substantial results are revealed.
We know that CBD does not have any significant side effects on dogs and has been hailed as a natural, safe and effective means of dealing with dog problems.
It is always advisable to consult a professional or veterinarian before starting your dog off on CBD. This fact has been reiterated throughout the article because one cannot say how CBD would react to medications your dog might already be taking. A veterinarian or a professional would make you aware of any prospective issues that might arise later.