Recent clinical and anecdotal evidence suggests that there are many benefits of CBD for menopause symptoms. Let's explore how CBD impacts the body and mind of menopausal women.
What is menopause?
One thing is certain for all women at some point in their life: menopause.
Menopause occurs when a women no longer has a menstrual cycle, which happens with loss of follicles (structures that contain eggs) in the ovaries.
Despite the average age of menopausal women being 51, menopause symptoms can occur as early as 40 or even as late as the 60s. Whether menopause occurs early or late, the cessation of menstrual periods indicates oestrogen hormone deficiency.
Symptoms of menopause
The duration and severity of menopausal symptoms varies from woman to woman. With that said, most symptoms actually start a short while before your periods cease, this is known as the perimenopause.
- Hot flushes
- Night sweats
- Reduced libido
- Vaginal dryness and pain
- Mood changes
- Joint aches
Benefits of CBD for menopause
Is CBD good for menopause symptoms? With cannabinoid receptors located throughout the female reproductive system, menopause and CBD have a direct correlation. In this regard, CBD oil has the potential to reduce some of the symptoms relating to menopause.
1. Mood changes – As usual when there are hormonal changes, menopause can result in mood changes, and not in a good way. Luckily, studies have found that CBD operates in a similar way to antidepressant medications in the brain, meaning it can help with negative moods.
2. Insomnia – If you’re going through your menopause, you may be finding it hard to get your full 8 hours of sleep. Unfortunately, this can have a negative impact on daily life. Studies are showing that CBD is able to decrease anxiety and promote better sleep cycles.
3. Bone density loss – Research shows that CBD may play a role in bone density Therefore; using CBD for menopausal symptoms can be a smart idea.
4. Pain Management – The hormonal changes of menopause can cause several painful conditions, including: joint stiffness, migraines, and muscle aches. CBD has been shown to be a great pain-management tool. In fact, I personally use CBD to manage my back pain. CBD is also a natural anti-inflammatory. Research shows that CBD can be used to effectively reduce inflammation and pain from menopause.
5. Hot flushes – CBD is thought to increase the levels of anandamide in the body by inhibiting the action of FAAH. The overall effect is an improved ability to control body temperature.
Which form of CBD is best for menopause?
If you want to use CBD for menopause, you may be overwhelmed with the sheer amount of choice available. Tinctures, edibles, and capsules are the most popular types of CBD products. With that said, I like to use a dual approach. Here is a breakdown of each type:
Tinctures – Without a doubt, tinctures are the most common way to administer cannabidiol. Tincture CBD involves dropping the CBD liquid underneath the tongue, then waiting for a few minutes as the CBD absorbs through the mucous membranes in your mouth.
Edibles – What’s better than a chocolate bar to relieve the symptoms of menopause? Ideal for those who like to incorporate CBD into their daily diet, edible products allow you to administer cannabidiol discreetly.
Capsules – By taking cannabidiol capsules for menopause symptoms, you can be confident that you’re getting an exact dosage every time! After making a few administration errors with tinctures, I now recommend CBD capsules. I’m currently using the RAW hemp ones from Endoca.
In conclusion, it’s safe to say that CBD’s benefits for menopause symptoms are very encouraging. As the research develops, I’m sure we will learn even more about how CBD can benefit women during the menopause. We always love to hear from you. Leave a comment below or reach out via one of our social channel.